I have worked in the Learning Disabilities sector since early 2012. Before creating The Inclusion Project, I worked as a Learning Disabilities Teacher at a college in Hertfordshire.
I was proudly the Team Great Britain, Head Basketball Coach, for the Special Olympics World Summer Games in Abu Dhabi in 2019 and still enjoy playing 'Blended' Basketball in my spare time.
I have been fortunate to have acquired the following accolades and awards along the way:
· 2019 - AFA Franchise Leader of the Year Award - Gold Winner
· 2019 - BBC Three Counties People Award - Sport - Silver Winner
· 2019 - First CQC Inspection for The Inclusion Project - Rated Outstanding
· 2019 - Head Coach - Team Great Britain - Basketball - Special Olympics World Summer Games in Abu Dhabi, UAE - Gold Medal Winners - World Champions
· 2018 - NASEN Inspirational Leader of the Year Award - Finalist
· 2018 - St Albans Contribution to Disability Sport Award - Winner
· 2018 - Hertfordshire Contribution to Disability Sport Award - Second Place
· 2018 - Created and entered the first ‘Unified' Basketball Team in the UK to play in the local Men’s Basketball League ('Unified' meaning a team made up of players with and without Learning Disabilities)
· 2017 - Hertfordshire Care Awards - Outstanding Achievement in Learning Disability Support - Winner
· 2015 - Hertfordshire Sports Awards - Disability Coach of the Year Award - Winner
· 2015 - Head Coach - Oaklands College - Hertfordshire Inter FE Games Regional Learning Disabilities Basketball Tournament - Gold Medal Winners - Regional Champions
· 2015 - Assistant Coach - Team Great Britain - Basketball - Special Olympics World Summer Games in Los Angeles, USA - Gold Medal Winners - World Champions
· 2014 - Head Coach - Hertfordshire Ravens - Basketball - Special Olympics National Basketball Tournament - Gold Medal Winners - National Champions
I am passionate about The Inclusion Project and believe in what it can achieve for adults with Learning Disabilities.
I have over 30 years' experience of teaching in Schools, Colleges and Universities; teaching across the Social Sciences and in Teacher Training on Education courses, and as a Visiting Tutor in schools in Hertfordshire and Essex.
Across my teaching career, I have always worked with young people with Learning Disabilities and Differences. I completed my PhD at the University of London in 2014; my research and thesis were about inclusion history, politics, economics, sociology, psychology, policy and provision.
My previous experiences professionally (as a Manager for many years) and academically (PhD, MA Management, PGCE, BSc Hons, BA) have stood me in good stead for my Registered Manager and Quality Assurance roles with The Inclusion Project, where my role covers staff recruitment, DBS and contracts; CPD; policies; procedures; compliance and regulation.
I started with The Inclusion Project as a Participant, and actually met Simon Jackson-Turner whilst out with my Group Leader. Simon and I started talking about our shared passion for Systems and testing code ... I am now working as the Systems Officer, with Simon as my mentor.
I enjoy problem solving, automating tasks, and making different pieces of software work together.
I have a strong background in Mathematics; a Bachelors in Mathematics from Warwick University, and a Masters in Mathematics from the Open University. I also have some experience with Maths tutoring. During my time as a student, I was first exposed to Programming and to Computer Science. My interest in these areas has only grown over time.
On the Programming side of things, I have varying levels of experience with (La)TeX, MATLAB, SageMath, Haskell, Python, Lua, C, and Bash/shell scripting, amongst others.
Copyright © 2017-2019 The Inclusion Project Ltd and The Inclusion Project Franchising Ltd - All Rights Reserved. Company Number: 10121567 and 10709240 - Registered Trademark - UK00003222811 and UK00003210712 - VAT Registration Number: 294662661
The Inclusion Project Ltd & Franchising Ltd